Well, after a very long talk with the girls about school, I have decided that we aren’t going to wait to change what we are doing now. It isn’t working and in the words of the girls it is easy peasy. So we will be going to an Abeka material display soon and changing out History, Science, and Language Arts for them.
Bubba is also not doing what I bought him anymore really. I have altered and tweaked it to death and am currently making his schedule weekly with some of the texts that were used. He had finished 1/2 a year of CLP 1st grade last year and we are picking up where it left off basically. We are also doing First Language Lessons, Singapore Science, and his reading list from Learn at Home grade 1. He has finished the LHFHG texts in 15 weeks instead of 34. I will be buying Abeka’s 1st grade manuscript writing with phonics for fine motor skills/handwriting.
The co-op will take care of art, music, drama and the like. We can focus on school and the main academic areas at home. I haven’t decided whether we will try something besides Singapore Math yet. I am really thinking about it. There is so much reference to cm. and metric and the girls tested in at 2a and 2b, but it wasn’t b/c they didn’t know the material. They didn’t understand Singapore’s method when they took the placement tests and some of the problems seemed hard for that grade even to me without the Singapore method. So I don’t think it was a fair test. The girls both knew addition and subtraction and some multiplication. I haven’t had to really teach them yet with Singapore and they are both 50-60 pages into it. So they have basically been doing a really long review. I have R&S Math 3 and I am thinking about picking it up soon or buying them both their own math from Abeka or Scott Foresman books. I do like Singapore’s shortcuts and mental math. So we may do it as a supplement alongside.
I decided instead of lamenting the fact that we weren’t happy with our curriculum that we would change sooner than later.

No comments:
Post a Comment