Tuesday, August 31, 2010

File Crate System and Organizing

Okay, I got bit by the filing bug recently.  LOL.  I decided to not file by weeks and then subjects, but by subjects and then however I wanted to divide them up-weeks, lessons, drills…

I wound up with 3 crates-

1.)Unit Studies/History/Science-this has hanging file folders for HOD’s LHTH, BLHFHG, History Pockets, Apologia’s Zoology, and the Burgess Bird Book.

2. Language Arts-LLATL, Learn at Home grades 2, 4, and 5, and Seasonal, and Liturgical as well.

3. Math-Calculadder 1,2, and 3 as well as Ready Writer 1.

 102_1700

I actually added this bookshelf and all the goodies after my organizational post.  It will hold my file crate system as well as pens, pencils, paper….well you get the picture.

 102_1705

I went out and bought a label maker.  I love this!  It was on sale for $15 at Target and I had to have it.  Here was my table during the filing frenzy.  I guess technically the labeling frenzy.

102_1703

Hanging File Folders labeled.  This was before I realized I would need 3 crates.  These aren’t full size crates but locker size crates.

102_1712   

The manila folders labeled.

102_1719

I printed out some material list sheets from the HOD yahoo group and stapled them to the left side of the manila folders by Unit.   I also added some peel and stick library pockets to hold the spelling index cards and Bible verse index cards.  I plan to have a library card  in there as well for the next book we need at least 2 weeks in advance of needing them so I can put a hold at the library or order it.

Any copies of poems, construction paper, copy paper….will be filed as well by unit.

I think this is going to make my life a whole lot easier and school to go a whole lot smoother this year.

To give credit where credit is due, I got on the file crate system bandwagon after reading a really long thread at the well trained mind about the file crate system.

1 comment:

  1. Hello Val,

    I found your blog post via The Well Trained Mind or HOD forum on organizing or workboxes...can't remember :P, but i LOVE what you shared here! I'm not sure if you're still using this system, but wanted to ask you about the HOD materials list. I'm on the HOD yahoo group and I can't find the material list sheets by searching on the group... Do you happen to have a link to it, or know how I could find it? :P Is this system still working for ya? Thank you, looks great!!! I'm new to HOD and excited about getting organzied :P

    ReplyDelete