Wednesday, September 1, 2010

First Day of School 2010-2011

Our first day went well I think.  There were a few glitches, but for the most part it went pretty good.  It was very busy.

Just FYI before the pictures,  we had water damage last year and have not finished replacing the flooring.  So it looks rough in the pictures.  My kitchen floor has no tile right now.  Please overlook it.

102_1737 

I promised the kids French toast on the first day of school.

102_1752

This was our Geography for HOD.  We were supposed to make masking tape circles of the earth on the floor and then jump, hop, and do other things from country to country.  Well, Jon went to Montessori school for preschool and I knew there had to be some reason I had kept his the World map all these years.  I had the kids point to the countries and trace the routes on the map.

102_1753

Tadpole doing Geography.

102_1754

The girls got out the globe to trace the routes as well.

102_1755

Bubba doing Geography.

102_1756

Now this is my favorite picture.  This is around 11 am.  Tadpole was completely tuckered out.  We were able to get her going again. ;)

102_1757

The girls working independently.

102_1758

Bubba working on a phonics exercise for LLATL.

102_1759

Up close of the phonics exercise.  He had to put short vowel words under the appropriate vowel card.

102_1760

Big Sis reading Farmer Boy.

102_1761

This is a cool activity of Bubba’s for LLATL.  We read a poem about inviting friends to your house.  He then had to cut out a house template. On the outside of the house, you drew yourself and wrote your name.

102_1762

On the inside, you drew a friend and wrote their name like you were inviting them to your house.

 102_1764

Big Sis had to research fairy tales and make a story element chart on a few of them for LAH reading.

102_1765

Tadpole reading The Boxcar Children.

102_1766

Bubba resting after a long day.

All in all, it went well.  It was a very busy day and very different from last year.  I made a MOTH style school schedule, but I am going to have to tweak it some.  Right now, our school day from start to finish is 8 am to 2 pm.  We break for 30 min. recess and 30 minute lunch. 

The kids had a great time though and we got to go to a back to school party with our home school group from 5-7 after finishing school.

No comments:

Post a Comment