Bubba
History/Social Studies
We continue to read of the struggles of the Pilgrims.
Science
We learned a great deal this week and made our own rain cloud and rain.
Math
We are continuing to review math facts. We have moved to subtraction. I find Bubba is doing well with R&S Math. The manipulatives really seem to help him with learning the facts.
Language Arts-
Storytime
We read a lot this week. I particularly enjoy reading about their simple Christmas gifts that they were so thankful to receive. In this day and age of indulgence, I think our children need to hear of a time when children did not expect as much.
Emerging Readers
We have finished reading Owl at Home. Bubba’s reading fluency and skill continue to improve. I love that the questions are not just rote answer questions and really require the child to think about what is being asked.
Spelling
We are continuing with List 1. Our list was primarily cvcv with the silent e this week. His spelling is improving though and with HOD’s method there is less stress over tests and more learning and progress.
Tadpole
History/Social Studies
Tadpole had fun writing in ancient script on her clay tablet. Unfortunately, our clay was a bit doughy and her signature did not work well. I may invest in some air dry clay for such experiments in the future.
Science
Tadpole enjoyed the jello experiment which truly shows how a dog’s sense of smell is much better than ours. She also learned about how dark and light colors draw the sun’s heat.
Math
Math has been a struggle. I have went with a traditional approach since all of the children have scored low on math on standardized testing. Tadpole went to public school until 3rd grade. I found so many gaps since bringing her home that I thought a year of solid math might be beneficial.
Language Arts
I am really loving the writing instruction in CTC. Write with the Best is great and gentle. Tadpole enjoys all of the assignments. She is reading Carry On, Mr. Bowditch for storytime. R&S English is going smoothly as well.
Poetry/Art
Tadpole has taken a liking to the watercolor painting. She has never been too interested in art, but she is thoroughly enjoying painting and without any assistance.
Her best friend had a birthday party recently. Tadpole made her this blanket and pillow.
Spiritheart
History/Social Studies
Science
Math
Language Arts
I would love to give a synopsis of my oldest dd’s week. I can’t though. She has lots of reading and taking notes, discussion questions, and busy work. She is using Calvert and it is not what I expected. It really isn’t set up in a way for me to follow her day. It is a lot of busy work and little love of learning. I plan to have her join Tadpole in CTC starting next week.

No comments:
Post a Comment