Thursday, February 27, 2014

Our ever-evolving High School plans!

Originally, I had decided to combine the girls and beef up for my older dd to make things high school credit worthy.  I was very pleased with this plan and made a 4 yr plan accordingly for dd13 to begin high school with Rev2Rev.  I was even pleased when I got the books…However, upon starting work…I realize my gifted child will not be challenged enough and I have made a ton of work for myself to beef things up.  So I took the plunge and bought WG.  Our new 9th grade plans are as follows-

9th Grade

WG-Geography, World Religion and Culture, Religion (Bible), and Logic

Science-Physical Science with lab using MFW’s lesson plans.  dd12 will combine.

Exploring Creation with Physical Science, Second Edition, Student Notebook  -     By: Vicki Dincher

English 1-Literature, Grammar, and Composition-Abeka 9th grade Themes of Literature, CLP Applications of Grammar book 3, and the novels Tom Sawyer, Alice in Wonderland, Wind in the Willows, and Little Women.  We will use our own lesson plan.  I will add them here later.

321103260020321134408766

Mathematics 1-Saxon Algebra 1 using MFW’s lesson plans.  dd12 will combine.

German 1-Living Language using our own lesson plans.  dd12 will combine.  I will add lesson plans here later.

Living Language German: Complete Edition (German 2)

Logic-Fallacy Detective and Art of Argument

Credits received for 9th grade with this plan-

Course

Credit

World Geography

1

World Religion and Cultures

1/2

Religion 1

1

Logic

1/2

German 1

1

English 1

1

Science-Physical Science w/ lab

1

Mathematics 1-Algebra 1/Geometry/Statistics

1

Knitting (co-op)

1/2

Theater Art-Drama (co-op)

1/2

Total Credits

8

Reasons for not choosing HOD choices for Math, Science, English and Foreign Language-

Math

  1. Continuity-I know the scope and sequence through the entire Saxon High School.  I like continuity and did not know which choices will be made for future guides of HOD.  I like MFW’s schedule for Saxon Math and the Dive CD’s.  It is also integrated math in the 3rd edition.
  2. Dive CD instruction

English

  1. Cost-Going with CLP’s 9th grade English 1 choices saved us considerable money and achieved the high school level grammar.  Our combo of Abeka Lit., CLP Grammar, and the 4 novels=$84.75 compared to HOD’s combo of BJU Lit, R&S Grammar, and novels=$224.91. 
  2. Grade Level Courses-R&S Grammar not being a high school text. Our inquiries to colleges of choice stated that they would not be perusing texts but merely going by the grade level the book is written to so if R&S 7 is meant for 7th grade they would consider it remedial English.

Science

  1. Cost- Again the choices made for HOD’s WG science  with lab=$336.99.  Using MFW’s science kit for Physical Science, plus the Apologia Notebooking Guide, plus the Home Science Tools lab for Physical Science=$140.39.  A considerable difference in price.
  2. College Prep track for medical science path-dd13 needs a specific track of credits for her major she wishes to pursue in college. 

Foreign Language

  1. There is really only 1 reason we did Living Language German.  dd13 had taken a year and a 1/2 of German already.  Continuing German was really the only choice.

8th grade

Rev2Rev-History, State Study, Biblical Worldview, Religion

Science-combined in Apologia Physical Science

Math-combined in Saxon Algebra 1

German 1-combined with Living Language German

Living Language German: Complete Edition (German 2)

English-Literature, Grammar, and novel combo using Abeka 8th grade Lit, CLP Applications of Grammar 2, and the novels-Anne of Green Gables, Jungle Book, and Through the Looking Glass.

321591325293260020

Courses

Credits

Science-Physical Science

1

Mathematics-Algebra 1/Geometry/Statistics

1

German 1

1

English 1 (Potential Credit)

1

Total Credits

3 or 4

Typically in our area, 8th graders can receive high school credit for science, math, and foreign language.  Sometimes they can receive credit for English 1 as well.  I am going to document as if giving credit for English 1 but will decide later.

dd12 will not be doing MTMM after Rev2Rev.  She will skip it and move to WG for 9th grade.  It will make things just line up so much better such as American History with American Literature.  It will also make them older when studying government and economics which I feel would be to their advantage. 

No comments:

Post a Comment