Wednesday, February 11, 2015

Monarch Online Curriculum (Review Coming Soon)

monarch

I recently felt the need to supplement the children’s schooling, but didn’t really want to take on anything demanding that would require a lot of myself as a tutor as well.  We have several things already in play that cost a lot.  Money and time are huge factors for me on whether a curriculum will work in our house.

Our main curriculum this year is K12.  I am fairly happy with it except the math.  I am very skilled in math and the common core math approach is very confusing and time consuming for my 2nd grader and my 6th grader is really not ready for Fundamentals of Geometry and Algebra.  I do not like the new Intermediate Math A, B, or C when compared to the old FGA, Pre-Algebra, and Algebra.

Since my oldest son is dyslexic/dysgraphic, he really needs his math and language arts to be mastered.  I looked a lot at so many curriculu, but I really didn’t want more textbooks to fit in or store at my house.

Then….

monarch plans

I saw the monarch family plans.  $69 a month and I can have 3 kids do 5 subjects over which ever grade level they place.  So my 6th grader can be in 3rd grade math.  I am not using it for all subjects.  Right now, I have my 8th grader doing Pre-Algebra, my 9th grader (public schooled) will start Geometry next month to give her some background knowledge before she takes Honors Geometry at school next semester, my 6th grader is going to start in 3rd grade math and hopefully work quickly until I feel he has mastered math on grade level, and my 2nd grader is not participating at this time.

I also have them all doing Bible as we do not receive Bible with K12.  I am picking and choosing with Language Arts topics as necessary.  My 9th grader also has Physical Science available to her for review as she takes the course at the local high school.

I will post an in-depth review after we have been using it for at least 3 months. Smile

No comments:

Post a Comment