Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Week 5

IMG00113-20101205-1935

We put up our Christmas Tree.  It is rotating lights so that is why it looks like only the bottom half is lit in the picture.

We have been making changes and eliminating overkill in our home school. We have revamped and cut out anything supplemental.  I am trying to get us on the same week with all of our subjects and have almost accomplished it! 

We focused on catching up Zoology this week.

Zoology I

IMG00125-20101208-1135

Working on our bird maps!

IMG00127-20101208-1136IMG00130-20101208-1143

ds8’s bird map.  I wrote in the body parts to save time. 

IMG00129-20101208-1140

dd9’s bird map.

IMG00132-20101208-1439

dd10’s bird map

Storytime HOD

Twenty-One Balloons by William Pene du Bois is our book for our adventure genre.  It is very exciting and intriguing.  It is very hard to stop every day and not read more than we are scheduled.

Math

I’m going to be completely honest.  I was not feeling R&S Math after all.  It became a big chore.  I also had a lot of difficulty with the children copying everything into a separate notebook.

The kids wanted to go back to Singapore.  They begged to go back to Singapore and we are going to finish the year with Singapore.

LLATL

Red-continuing with our readers, studied spelling and syllables.  ds8 is also finishing up the Reading Lesson.  He is on lesson 20 and almost through.

Orange-Journal Unit

Purple-Adjectives

Orange and Purple includes weekly dictation.  We have added Sequential Spelling to help my non-natural speller.

We had a very good week.  We are now doing HOD BLHFHG together, Zoology I together, ds8-Singapore Math 1a&1b/LLATL Red/The Reading Lesson, dd9-LLATL Orange/Sequential Spelling 1, dd10-LLATL Purple/Sequential Spelling 3, dd9&dd10-Singapore Math 3a/3b.

We have had a horrible semester school wise.  We were overbooked socially and only managed to complete 5 weeks of school after all this time.  We schooled daily but everything got drawn out and we only hit a few subjects each day b/c we had so much on our plate during soccer season.

Hopefully now that we have cut back from our original coursework with so many resources for each subject….we will be able to move forward and finish the year in a timely manner.

1 comment:

  1. I love those bird maps. What a great idea!! My theory...less is more. As in less outside house stuff, more school gets done(at least in our home) :) From reading the WTM board, it sounds like lots of people had a hard first semester(me included!). You are doing great!!
    Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete