Saturday, March 26, 2011

Week 7

History/Social Studies

We continued reading about the Pilgrims and their move from Holland.  We studied how they used ramps to help load their ships.  Here are pictures of the kids trying to roll a can of coffee up the front steps without a ramp and with a ramp. 

IMG00221-20110324-1206IMG00219-20110324-1206IMG00223-20110324-1207IMG00224-20110324-1207

Science Zoology

We made a bird feeder this week out of a soda pop bottle.  We continued learning about birds and their nests and habitats as well.

IMG00217-20110324-1123IMG00218-20110324-1203

Math

Abeka 2-We are plugging along with Abeka Math.  Jon is starting to review subtraction and has taken test 2. 

Singapore 1a-We are still supplementing with Singapore.  Jon reviewed his 7, 8, and 9 math families.

ABeka 3-The girls are plugging along with Abeka Math 3.  They are really reviewing as well as learning new things.  I discovered that they had never been exposed to roman numerals.  They are also working on cementing those pesky multiplication facts.

The girls went to public school longer and therefore there are considerable gaps in their math ability and knowledge even though they made straight A’s in public school.  I have given up pushing them through things and instead we are going to steadily work through math until they are on level again.

I am leaning towards both the girls and Bubba working through Abeka Math and using Singapore Math as a supplement.

Language Arts

HOD Story time-We are about half way through Twenty-One Balloons by William Pene.  It is definitely a unique story and the kids enjoy all the eccentricities of the novel.

This week we are reading/read:

2nd grade-HOD’s Emerging readers Beginner’s Bible

4th grade-Wilbur and Orville Wright: Young Fliers by Augusta Stevenson.

They are all continuing with their respective LLATL levels.  My 5th grader is about to start Trumpet of the Swan.

_______________

Our year has been a little more bumpy than I first expected.  I am letting go of all the expectations that I previously had about where we would be at this point.  We are continuing working steadily.  I am just wanting to maintain steady progress, love for learning, and an increase in abilities and skills at this point. 

We should be going strong when we take a break in June.

No comments:

Post a Comment