My 5th grader has dyslexia/dysgraphia. We will do PHFHG mainly as written, but will make certain changes . Some of these changes are due to dyslexia/dysgraphia and some are due to personal beliefs. This post is meant to help others that may have students with similar issues.
Language Arts Changes
Due to Bubba’s dysgraphia/dyslexia, we will be adding in some phonics review through MCP Word Study as well as a writing program from Sonlight called Diamond Notes. He also has not mastered cursive so he will be completing HWOT Cursive. We will not be using R&S Grammar this year as he needs to work on a lot of writing skills this year. Instead we will be using a Charlotte Mason style Grammar (Simply Grammar) for the year with the hopes of transitioning into R&S Grammar next year.


- MCP Word Study D-http://www.sonlight.com/3L18.html
- Diamond Notes-http://www.sonlight.com/RL67.html
- Handwriting Without Tears-http://www.sonlight.com/HW3.html
- Simply Grammar- http://www.timberdoodle.com/Simply_Grammar_p/211-201.htm
- Click N Spell-http://www.clicknkids.com/Public/Spelling.php
- Diane Craft’s Brain Integration Therapy- http://stores.diannecraft.org/brain-integration-therapy-manual/


Alternate Language Arts Schedule using above resources-Click Here
Bubba will be using the dictation in HOD as well as Click n Spell on the computer to work on his spelling. We will be doing PHFHG 5 days a week. I will be creating a schedule with the Unit/Day setup similar to how the Singapore schedules are for HOD in the back of the books for his language arts. Once it is completed, I will add it here. The plan is for him to do Simply Grammar and HWOT 2 x a week each and Word Study D and Diamond Notes on Fridays. He will do Click N Spell (20 min.) in the mornings alongside our at home OT therapy (10-20 min. of quick exercises meant to wake up the brain-get the left and right side working together) using Diane Craft’s book Brain Integration Therapy. Click N Spell was suggested due to his dysgraphia/dyslexia.
Math Changes
Bubba has completed through 1/2 of 5th grade math with varying curriculum over the years. The last year and a half he used K12’s color math with our previous charter school. He was required to test and pass the state test last year to promote to 5th grade. He did with adaptions for his dyslexia. He was allowed a calculator for the entire test. He has not mastered his math facts.
We are choosing to try backtracking with Miquon Math (all 6 levels in one year). I am hoping the Cuisenaire rods will help since Bubba is a visual learner. After this year of “remedial” math, we will take the Singapore placement test.
I am toying with having him do Teaching Textbooks 6 alongside Miquon Math. Not positive yet, but I do already own it. He is going to also use JUMP Math 4 alongside Miquon.

We are required to test yearly and I hope this combo will shore up gaps and keep him progressing on testing.
Science/History Changes (Old Earth conflicts)
We are not young earth. I am glad that there is a heads up about date issues in PHFHG. With a little advanced prep, I can make PHFHG fit our personal beliefs.
I am really not sure but think we will read and discuss the chapters that were omitted from A Child’s History of the World. He will not be using The Great Dinosaur Mystery independently We will do it together and discuss different beliefs.
We will use BBC resources from their Walking with Dinosaurs series and site. We will also use a teaching resource from Britannica.
- http://www.bbc.co.uk/nature/life/Dinosaur
- http://www.bbc.co.uk/nature/14343366
- http://kids.britannica.com/dinosaurs/dinosaurs/study/index.htm

I will attempt to align the Dinosaur study from Britannica with the Great Dinosaur Mystery book and hopefully induce great discussions about science, beliefs, and more. When I get a schedule created to merge the resources, I will post it here.
We do have to test yearly and science is included in that testing so no matter our personal beliefs exposure to the different theories would be required.
I have looked very quickly through Life in the Great Ice Age and believe we will not have to omit it (may have to adapt a few sentences). I have also perused Noah’s Ark and will only have to omit a few sentences. The main changes will be to the beginning of our staircase timeline for history.
I may have to adapt on the fly but feel these are the main changes that I will plan in advance. I am hoping the heads up on dates and differences if you are not young earth is through the entire guide. I have skimmed the guide briefly and used the note booking pages from the Yahoo group to base my changes.

Thanks for the references. I have some planning to do. I hadn't thought far enough ahead to realize that the timeline would be affected also.
ReplyDelete