Wednesday, December 4, 2013

Getting Ready for BLHFHG with Wiggles!

Wiggles Books are here!  Yay!

157

We are doing HOD as our main curricula and changing a few things up.  Wiggles will be doing Miquon Math/Jump at Home Math 2 and First Language Lessons 1/MCP Plaid Phonics with BLHFHG as well as HWOT for handwriting.

IMG_1587[1]

I prefer my guide as it comes.  I don’t cut off the binding and spiral bind or 3 hole punch.  I do cover it in Contact paper though.  I find this helps the cover survive better over time.  The dividers are the removable sticky kind you find in Walmart.  I have them labeled Daily Lesson, Emerging Readers, Storytime, Spelling, and Poetry.  This makes it much easier to quickly flip to sections in our guide.

168

This is his Trapper Keeper binder that we have had since kindergarten.  I created the binder insert in Publisher and blacked out his real name. Winking smile

169

Inside we will use dividers to separate our work.  I have not updated his labels.  His “phonics” is completing MCP Plaid Phonics.  I have used plaid phonics then word study with his older brother and love it.

164

These great note booking pages (printed on cardstock and double-sided) came from the HOD Yahoo group.  I am so thankful to those that have taken the time to make the extras.

Why I am adding note booking pages to BLHFHG for Wiggles…

Wiggles spent the last year and a half in a rigorous charter school that had already introduced a lot of writing.  I probably could have placed him in BHFHG this year by the placement chart.  However, I did not want him to get to BHFHG until 3rd grade and he is currently 6 years old….albeit turning 7 in a few weeks.

These note booking pages are a simple and effective way for him to continue his writing skills within his subjects while we work on oral narration since that was not a skill focused on in our curricula with the charter school.  In k12, Wiggles had a lot of worksheets and busy work. 

We are working to regain a love of learning.  I feel by going with Beyond and adding in the notebooking pages that Wiggles will learn to love learning again while maintaining his current writing skills.  Smile

No comments:

Post a Comment