Wednesday, November 19, 2014

Juggling it All

Monkey Juggling by Geer-Art

The title says it all!  Homeschooling is so much more than an education choice for your children.  It is a lifestyle choice.  You are suddenly parent, teacher, mentor, social organizer, sports parent, and just too many titles to name….

How do you avoid burn out?

I wish I could tell you that I have the answer and that this post is going to be a how to for homeschool parents.  Unfortunately, this year has been super insane for me as one student went back to school.

Juggling a public school student and my home school students has been hard.  Juggling sports, co-op, carpool, and major projects and assignments on a school’s timeline has been a huge adjustment for our family.

The truth is I can’t juggle it all.  It is time to get real.  I am not superwoman and I need to seriously re-evaluate our extras and what I can physically and emotionally manage with kids both in and out of school.

What does this mean?

1.  K12 Charter School-this has been a lifesaver for us to stay on track and the kids at home to be able to work well while I am in carpool, sports practice drop off/ pick up or any other new out of house commitment that school has given our family.

2. Co-op---is this a must?  Does it bring something to our school?  No, it isn’t a must.  Yes, it does bring something to my kids.  Dilema-our co-op is an afternoon co-op that goes through carpool pick up time for school.  Bus was a dangerous disaster.  Ergo, we have to find a morning co-op.  Next semester, only my oldest homeschooled dd will do our current afternoon co-op.  Next year, time to find a new co-op.  Tough choice, but right choice.

3.  Time-I don’t have enough.  Energy-I don’t have enough.  I need to make time for me.  There will be a day when I do not have kids at home to school.  Time to be real.  My world revolves around homeschooling them.  Not healthy for them or me.  Goal-find hobbies, spend more time with hubby, and discover who I am outside of SAHM who homeschools.

Can I juggle it all? Yes.  Can I do it well? No.  So time for major changes.

No comments:

Post a Comment